Wednesday, August 29, 2007

STERLING OPERA HOUSE

A week or so ago I heard on the radio that Toll Brothers the luxury home builder was experiencing a rash of cancellations and less revenue this year than last. This is significant for the arts community as well as an indicator of just how bad the sub-prime mess is. Toll Brothers graciously stepped in to fill the void left when Texaco declined to continue their support for the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast. So all this is buzzing in my head as I am driving down Rt 34 and I thought about our Sterling Opera House.

This building was once the center of our down town and can be again. The current administration has said nothing about it and the only challenger to mention it has been Mel Thompson, the Democrat now running as an independent. From a pure political point of view ( after all this blog is about Derby and world politics) how or why does the Opera House matter? The answer is simple developing it into an income producing property that brings people into downtown will help lower taxes and be a important piece of the revitalization of down town. The redevelopment zone has become known as Mayor Staffieri’s biggest and most glaring failure. He promised the buildings would come down and they did.

They had to and it is well known that if they did not the state was going to step in because they were on a state highway (Rt 34). So he did not accomplish anything. There is a hole on south main street, that Opera House which could bring shows, educational programs and would have been perfect for a political debate this year goes unused. These are facts not fiction. The same year that the redevelopment was first mentioned according to local papers is 1967-68.

Around the same time ( appox 1966) talk about the future of the opera house began because it had been abandoned as the city hall and police department in 1965 when the 5th st City Hall building was erected ( now the old city hall). Nothing has happened in 40 years on Main Street except Mayor Staffieri and his political cronies have dug a whole ( literally) and financially ( $45 million in debt to a developer). Well if the city is going to go through rough times financially we at least deserve Opera as a sound track because Mayor Staffieri’s administration is a tragedy and has been filled with mad scenes.

We wish Toll Brothers well and want them to look up Derby and the Sterling Opera House the next time they are in a position to support the arts.

9 comments:

Dan said...

Good post...I agree 100% that the Opera House is a tremendous asset to Derby and the State of CT.
Why can't we lobby for a magnet school for music, dance & the arts to come and get the Opera House back into operation?

Dan said...

Good post...I agree 100% that the Opera House is a tremendous asset to Derby and the State of CT.

Why can't we lobby for a magnet school for music, dance & the arts to come and get the Opera House back into operation?

Anonymous said...

Dan, we must ask what happened to Connecticut’s Smallest City Blog? We know you posted there and your post were well reasoned and thoughtful so what do you know. The rumor is that at least 15 people were lining up to sue the site and its host is this true?

Anonymous said...

Well, the PDA the garofalo guys signed is bad, but we are not quite yet 45 million in debt...There is a group writing the by-laws fro the Opera House as we speak, you could be part of the Board of Directors, interested? We need to raise big money, about 8 million and already have over a million committed by State.

Anonymous said...

Yes I know Marc screwed all of this up and some people are doing their best but the Mayor is still full of himself and he has done nothing. Im sorry but that is my political assessment of him not personal Im sure he is an ok guy.Absolutely interested, however I have seen so many vicious attacks on people on that old blog that once myself or any person posting says yeah sign me up and here is my real name and phone the calls will start. The atmosphere is poison and it is really preventing people from being involved. I like this blog because it tries to be fair to both Dems, Rep and Ind and there are no ethnic or racial slurs. So I thank you and yes I am but frankly worried about the side of people that I have seen on that other blog that scares me.

Anonymous said...

AN ASP IS A SNAKE, RIGHT?

Dan said...

Derby Girl: I'm not sure what happened to the other site; but I am thankful that they pulled it. It was way out of control; especially after this past weekend. I left the office on Friday afternoon with a couple of posts that I had hoped would trigger good conversation and I came back in Monday morning reading all this "garbage" on Ms.Weissman. How unfortunate and such a poor representation of the people of Derby. I hope that this site will be moderated more effectively.

Dan said...

Maple Ave:
Great to hear that there is some activity in the works on the Opera House. These are the things that need to be discussed. Let's face it; most residents only see what once was a beautiful building just sitting there for years and years. They only hear what they want to hear or worse yet the conversation at the local coffee shop. Wasn't there a group not so long ago takign on this charge "Save Our Sterling"? Are they still around? If so they need to get the word out on the the who, what, when & where. There are alot of ways to raise money...8million sounds like an aweful lot; but frankly not unrealistic.
Set something up and I'll be more than happy to participate in any way that I can.

Dan said...

Derby Girl: In response to your post at 3:35am (what are you thinking; shouldn't you be sleeping?)

It's unfortunate that people can be so vicious. It's disappointing isn't it?

I know it's hard; but we can't let the naysayers get the better of us. There will always be disagreement and conflicting interests; especially when it's politically charged. I like to abide by the general rule of actively participating; sure I may not necessarily have all the answers and even some of my ideas may be bad ideas; but if I'm actively involved in the conversation and being respectful of others and their thoughts and ideas then I have nothing to be ashamed of or afraid of as I am doing my part. People can say all they want...it's your integrity as a person actively contributing to the process that speaks volumes. Of course this is just my opinion.